The Friends of the
National Railway Museum

South of England Group
Vice Presidents: Richard Hardy; Sir William McAlpine Bt, FRSE, FCIT, FRSA

Last Update

    2 March 2012

Yorkshire Dales Railway
19 June 2011

Return to Index

Diary of Events


  Press Cuttings
  Visit Reports
  Lecture Reports
  Product News


After the FNRM AGM at York, we made our way to the Rendezvous Hotel at Skipton. Those going by car found the A59 closed at Blubberhouses Moor with a long (and badly signposted) diversion via Otley and Ilkley. When we all finally arrived, we enjoyed an excellent dinner, during which, our our Chairman unveiled the nameplate "John Wesley" from HST power car 43103 which he had acquired from Derek Brown, ex-BR Research Centre, Derby "for a consideration" which will go towards the 34051 appeal. The nameplate will be loaned to Methodist Church House in London and we will bring you news of the unveiling in due course.
The following day we made our way to Embsay. To maintain the theme from the previous day, the road authorities had decided to close the centre of Skipton, with a further diversion; they went one better this time, and didn't put up any diversion signs!

However, we managed to find our way to Embsay in time for the 10:30 departure, with the notable exception of our Group leader, Les Butler.

We had use of the 1913 LNWR Directors' Saloon, which is partially restored.

A trip along the line to Bolton Abbey station followed, behind GWR No 6619, unfortunately in the rain.

Not wishing to squelch our way 1ΒΌ miles to Bolton Abbey itself, we re-boarded the train for the trip back to Embsay, by way of the turn round at Bow Bridge Loop, where the track-bed, but not the track, joins the NR line from Skipton to Rylstone quarry. On arrival at Embsay we found our Group Leader on the platform waiting for us. A quick browse in the station bookshop saw several of the group depart with useful items. By this time the weather was clearing up. We decided to drive up to Settle, On arrival, we made a brief inspection of the station but found that the signal-box, and refreshment room, only open on Saturday. However a quick stroll into town allowed us to have a very pleasant sandwich platter lunch at the Lion's Den pub. By now, the weather had much improved and there was even a bit of blue in the sky.

We moved off by car across the moors to Malham, to enjoy a walk up to the Cove followed by a refreshing tea. All that was left was the 8 mile drive back to the hotel at Skipton for another excellent meal.